I'm playing working with my brand-new iPad (remember my post about iPads for winery tasting rooms?) today, so I'm going to re-direct you to this well-written and interesting series from Mary Baker at Central Coast Wine Blogs as she takes us through the mechanics of an actual wine scam:
- Introduction: Inside a Wine Scam
- Part I: How the Wine Scam Works
- Part II: The 'John Nelson' Letters
- Part III: "It ain't TV, lady."
- Part IV: Who's in Your Wallet?
- Part V: The Worm Turns
- A Final Note About Money Orders
And yes, Virigina, there really is an Alfalfa County in the state of Oklahoma. You can't make this stuff up.
Now go read it (and pass it along to your local winery association members).